Stage Co., Kanawha Library team up for 'Picasso'
CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- The Kanawha County Public Library and the Charleston Stage Company are teaming up to produce several programs tied to Stage Company's production of "Picasso at the Lapin Agile" May10-12 and May 17-19. The play, by Emmy, Grammy and American Comedy awards winner Steve Martin, is a comedy that explores the value of genius and talent in a lengthy debate between Albert Einstein and Pablo Picasso.
The activities all take place at the Main Library, 123 Capitol St.
1. Pictorial scavenger hunt: During Thursday's ArtWalk (5 to 8:30 p.m.), pick up a list of clues to objects located within or near the library. Take photos of the objects, then show them to a staff member at the reference desk. If you get all correct, you'll be entered in a drawing to win a Stage Co. 2012-13 season pass and tickets to "Picasso."
2. Saturday afternoon at the movies: Watch the Steve Martin comedy "Cheaper by the Dozen" at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Main Library. The movie also stars Bonnie Hunt, Hilary Duff, Tom Welling ("Smallville"), Piper Perabo ("Covert Affairs") and Alyson Stoner ("Camp Rock").
3. Improv workshop: Joe Wallace, one of the founding members of the No Pants Players improv troupe, will host a workshop at 2 p.m. April 28 to lead teens and adults in games to help them be fast and funny on their feet.
4. "Picasso" sneak preview: Cast members will give a sneak peek at the show at 6 p.m. April 30. Tickets to the play will be raffled off.
5. The Einstein Factor: At 12:10 p.m. May 2, local Mensa member Martha Spalding Mozingo discusses characteristics common to geniuses. Also, test your mental abilities with some brainteasers.
6. Batteries Not Included: At 6:30 p.m. May 7, the George Washington High School improv group Batteries Not Included performs a show for all ages.
For more information, call 304-343-4646.