Glenwood Estate to host history program of site By Staff reports June 29, 2013 CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- The Marshall University Graduate Humanities Program is holding another installment June 30 of the Glenwood Project, a three-part initiative to make the Glenwood Estate on Charleston's West Side more publicly accessible through archaeological and historical analysis. The Georgian-style mansion sits at the corner of Orchard Street and Park Avenue, a short distance from Stonewall Jackson Middle School. A free program at the pre-Civil War estate will include: 1 p.m.: "The Glenwood Project," Dr. Luke Eric Lassiter, program director of the Graduate Humanities Program 1:15 p.m.: Oral histories of Glenwood, Dr. Elizabeth Campbell, faculty member in the Marshall University Graduate School of Education and Professional Development 1:30 p.m.: "Historic Glenwood: Window on the West Side," Dr. Billy Joe Peyton of West Virginia State University and the MU Graduate Humanities Program 2:15 p.m.: "Landscape Archeology, Glenwood and the Road to Urbanization," Dr. Robert Maslowski of the MU Graduate Humanities Program 3 p.m.: "Sharing Memories of Glenwood" Glenwood was built in 1852 by James Laidley on a 366-acre tract. Laidley, founder of the Charleston newspaper The Western Register, was in 1857 forced by financial reversals to sell the house to George W. Summers. In 1978, Summers' great-granddaughter, Lucy Quarrier, deeded it to the West Virginia College of Graduate Studies, which later became part of Marshall University. Glenwood is now owned and maintained by the Historical Glenwood Foundation, which formerly was the Marshall University Graduate College Foundation. "It provides a unique history into the complex history of Charleston, the Kanawha Valley and West Virginia," Lassiter said. "Much of the estate's history is contained in the documents and materials at Glenwood." An objective of the Glenwood Project is to facilitate public engagement in a variety of ways, including an archival database, public workshops and seminars, development of the Marshall University Graduate Humanities curriculum, and other activities. The Glenwood Project is funded through a partnership with the West Virginia Humanities Council, Council of West Virginia Archaeology, Kanawha Valley Historical and Preservation Society, Historic Glenwood Foundation, Marshall University Graduate School of Education and Professional Development and Marshall University College of Liberal Arts. For additional information, call 304-746-1923 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.