Trolley cars were named because they were electrically powered from a central power station and the electricity was received by the car by means of a trolley on the roof that ran along the electric wires above the coaches.
They have several advantages, such as being very quiet and, by running on steel tracks, very dependable.
Coal burned at the power stations was in abundance, especially in West Virginia.
Finally, in 1939, the last trolley cars ran in Charleston as diesel engines and rubber tires won out.
The picture shows a sign indicating the route the car is following was known as the Middle Loop. Yes, there was an inner loop and an outer loop.