Log Out

Cousin of Boone County victim said mother feared son-in-law

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- A Kentucky woman came to Boone County last week to take care of her grandchildren while her daughter coped with her ailing father.On Tuesday, both women were found dead inside the daughter's Bloomingrose home. Police arrested the Kentucky woman's son-in-law Wednesday and charged him with two counts of first-degree murder and the sexual assault of an underage female family member.Timothy Ray Parsons, 36, of Comfort, allegedly slit the throats of his wife, Leigh Anne Kinder-Parsons, 35, and his mother-in-law, Gloria Sue Kinder, 62, of Lexington, Ky., sometime over Monday and Tuesday, according to a criminal complaint filed in Boone County Magistrate Court.Police also said he tied up and sexually assaulted a 15-year-old female family member after killing the two women, according to the criminal complaint.Parsons led police on a manhunt for most of Tuesday after he ditched his 2004 Ford Mustang near Slaughters Creek in Boone County. Police in Boone and Kanawha counties were on the lookout for Parsons, fearing he hitched a ride and left the state.Boone County Sheriff Rodney Miller said they got a tip he was in the Rand area early Wednesday morning. Police discovered him behind DuPont Middle School, where he had apparently set up camp.Police arrested Parsons and he was arraigned in Kanawha County Magistrate Court. He was sent back to Boone County, where he was placed in Southwestern Regional Jail with no set bail.'I was afraid of him'Kinder had driven from Lexington to Boone County on May 5, her birthday, at the request of Kinder-Parsons, her youngest daughter, said Freda Cooper, Kinder's close friend and cousin.A Bloomingrose native, Kinder had moved to Kentucky within the last few years to be closer to her oldest daughter, Cooper said.Kinder-Parsons wanted her mother's help with the kids as she prepared for the eventual death of her father, Cooper said.Kinder-Parsons' father, who is Kinder's ex-husband, is battling prostate cancer at Boone Memorial Hospital, she said. That Saturday, Cooper said she bought Kinder a dinner, a spa facial and a haircut for her 62nd birthday."She said it was the nicest birthday she ever had," Cooper said.The following week, Kinder didn't report anything out of the ordinary to her closest cousin while she stayed with her daughter and Parsons. The couple had only been married for a couple of years.
However, Cooper said Kinder always feared Parsons."A couple of times he had acted angry toward her and she didn't like that," Cooper said.Cooper described Parsons as a quiet man. He made her uneasy when he and Kinder-Parsons visited during the holidays.
"He came to my house for Christmas this past year," Cooper said. "I was just afraid of him. I wasn't really happy with them being there at my house, but being my relatives, I didn't want to run them away at Christmas time."Cooper said something changed in Kinder's voice by Monday night. The two spoke on the phone and Cooper could tell something was wrong.Monday night
Kinder told Cooper at about 11 p.m. she was concerned for her daughter, who had been locked inside her room for two days.She hadn't checked on her daughter because Parsons said she had the flu and didn't want to be disturbed, Cooper said.Kinder spoke anxiously."She told me that Leigh Anne hadn't come downstairs for two days and that was bothering her," Cooper said. "She didn't check on her because she didn't want to interfere between her and [Parsons]."According to the criminal complaint, Kinder hung up the phone and went upstairs to her daughter's bedroom, where she found her body.After the discovery, Parsons came into the bedroom and slit Kinder's throat, according to the criminal complaint.A young female family member was in the shower at the time. When she got out, Parsons forced her into the bedroom to view the women's bodies, the criminal complaint said.He tied the girl up and forced her to have sex with him, the criminal complaint said. He allegedly told the girl he would kill her too if she didn't cooperate.Parsons stayed at the house until about 9 a.m. Tuesday, before fleeing in his silver Mustang. The young girl was then able to free herself to seek help. Boone County Sheriff's deputies and State Police responded.Cooper said her family is devastated by what happened."They were such loving people. It's just unfair," Cooper said. "This should have never happened to them. They would never hurt anybody."Kinder-Parsons had recently taken a job as a saleswoman for Clayton Homes in Danville. She liked to watch movies and spend time with her daughters, Cooper said.Kinder had lived in North Carolina for several years before moving to Kentucky. She loved to decorate and learn about her own genealogy, Cooper said. She and Kinder were organizing photos for a pet project on their family's history.Reach Travis Crum at or 304-348-5163. 
Show All Comments Hide All Comments

User Comments

More News