MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- A 19th-century English deed has found a home in the West Virginia University Law Library's collection. Officials with the Morgantown school say two retired WVU English professors -- Byron and Carolyn Nelson -- donated the deed from 1829 to the WVU College of Law.
Carolyn Nelson's uncle spotted the large handwritten parchment at a yard sale and purchased the five-page document. The deed then passed between the Nelson families. The English legal document now joins an American deed from 1793 in the school's special collections. Officials say it will be used in property classes as an actual representative of the British property system. The document transferred ownership of the Barton Farm in the town of Newton Abbot, England. The deed is completely handwritten and stamped with official seals.