GLEN JEAN, W.Va. -- A volunteer died at the National Scout Jamboree Saturday night after he collapsed near his camp at the Summit Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve, a spokesman for the Boy Scouts said.The man, whose name and home state are not being released, was given CPR, said Deron Smith, director of public relations for the Boy Scouts.He was transported to Plateau Medical Center in Oak Hill. Attempts to revive him were unsuccessful, Smith said Monday night."It's a sad day in Scouting when this happens," said Smith, who described the Scouts as a close-knit family.
About 40,000 Scouts and their leaders are attending the Jamboree that also includes thousands of staff and volunteers.The Jamboree's chief medical officer, Dr. Glen Ault, estimates that up to 500 people per day have been treated for various maladies at the Summit Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve, and about 15 people per day are taken to hospitals. The Jamboree has more than 500 medical personnel.Previous Jamborees also have been marked by tragedy. In 2005, four Boy Scout leaders were electrocuted when a pole on a large tent they were erecting touched overhead electrical lines at Fort A.P. Hill, Va., which was the Jamboree's home from 1981 to 2010. That tragedy was followed by days of intense heat that sickened more than 300 Scouts and visitors.In 1997, a 16-year-old Scout died when a U.S. Army Humvee he was driving overturned at the Jamboree.