Most charges dropped against one suspect in Charleston shooting
CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- Kanawha County prosecutors on Monday dropped charges against one of two men in connection to a shooting that was allegedly motivated by their friend's murder.
A Kanawha County grand jury indicted Jon Paul Clements, 31, and Robert Jared Smith, 34, with attempted murder, malicious wounding, conspiracy and wanton endangerment in July.
Those charges were dropped against Clements on Monday, said Charleston Police Lt. Steve Cooper. Clements and Smith were also charged in federal court with being prohibited persons in possession of firearms. The men remain in South Central Regional Jail without bail on Monday. Clements is being held there on the federal charge.
In addition to that federal charge, Clements was also charged last week by the state with being a prohibited person in possession of a firearm and drug charges, which were not dropped, according to Charleston Police Lt. Steve Cooper.
On March 9, police said Clements and Smith fired more than 60 rounds from three different guns at Andre Williamson, 25, and Cierra Leftwich, 22. Williamson and Leftwich, both of Charleston, were shot multiple times in the legs while standing in front of the Seoul of Charleston restaurant on Washington Street West.
Police believe the shooting was in retaliation for the October 2012 shooting death of David Juaboi Booker, who was gunned down on Milton Street.