Click for a list of water distribution sites.About 100,000 water customers, or 300,000 people total, were affected, state officials said they reported in requesting the federal declaration.Shortly after the Thursday spill from Freedom Industries hit the river and a nearby treatment plant, a licorice-like smell enveloped parts of the city, and Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin issued an order to customers of West Virginia American Water: Do not drink, bathe, cook or wash clothes with tap water.The chemical, a foaming agent used in the coal preparation process, leaked from a tank at Freedom Industries and overran a containment area. Officials from Freedom, a manufacturer of chemicals for the mining, steel, and cement industries, hadn't commented since the spill, but a woman who answered the phone at the company said it would issue a statement later Friday.Other officials say the orders were issued as a precaution, as they were still not sure exactly what hazard the spill posed to residents. It also was not immediately clear how much of the chemical spilled into the river and at what concentration."I don't know if the water is not safe," water company president Jeff McIntyre said. "Until we get out and flush the actual system and do more testing, we can't say how long this (advisory) will last at this time."McIntyre said the chemical isn't lethal in its strongest form. Kanawha County emergency officials said the chemical is called 4-methylcyclohexane methanol.According to a fact sheet from Fisher Scientific, the chemical is harmful if swallowed - and could be so if inhaled - and causes eye and skin irritation.Janet Briscoe, director of epidemiology and emergency preparedness for the Kanawha-Charleston Health Department, said "we have not had any confirmed linkage that there was any illness connected at this point reported to us."They will continue working with local hospitals to monitor the situation.Paul Ziemkiewicz, director of the West Virginia Water Research Institute, said the most dangerous use of potentially contaminated water is showering, as it is most harmful to the lungs, in vapor form. It also can irritate the skin; however, he noted that most studies on the chemical have been done on higher concentration levels.The emergency declaration involves customers in all or parts of the counties of Kanawha, Boone, Cabell, Clay, Jackson, Lincoln, Logan, Putnam and Roane. State Department of Education spokeswoman Liza Cordeiro said schools in at least five of the counties will be closed.The smell from the spill - similar to licorice or cough syrup - was especially strong at the Charleston Marriott hotel a few blocks from the Elk River, which flows into the Kanawha River in downtown Charleston. The Marriott shut off all water to rooms, and then turned it back on so guests could flush toilets. Each guest was given two 16.9-ounce bottles of spring water upon returning to the hotel.Even as the National Guard made plans to mobilize at an air base at Charleston's Yeager Airport, many people - told to use water only for flushing toilets - weren't waiting for outside help.Once word got out about the governor's declaration Thursday, customers stripped store shelves in many areas of items such as bottled water, paper cups and bowls. As many as 50 customers had lined up to buy water at a convenience store near the state Capitol in Charleston."It was chaos, that's what it was," cashier Danny Cardwell said.Tomblin said the advisory also extends to restaurants, hospitals, nursing homes and other establishments that use tap water.Early Friday, Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety spokesman Lawrence Messina said he wasn't aware of any hospitals closing and that area medical centers "seemed to have adequate water supply, at least for the short term."At the Little India restaurant in Charleston, about 12 customers were asked to leave when bar manager Bill LaCourse learned about the shutdown notice.Karlee Bolen, 16, of Charleston, said her family, including her parents, two sisters and brother, were considering the possibility of heading to her grandmother's home in Braxton County, where tap water was unaffected, an hour to the northeast. "I kind of want to shower and brush my teeth," she said.