Morgantown teen gets life for killing friend

File photo
Shelia Eddy (right) and Rachel Shoaf lured their one-time friend, Skylar Neese (left), from her Star City home and killed her in 2012.
AP Photo
Shelia Eddy, 18, is taken from the courtroom Friday in Morgantown. Eddy was sentenced to life in prison after her guilty plea to first-degree murder.
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- A Morgantown teenager was sentenced Friday to life in prison with the chance for parole in the slaying of her one-time best friend, who was lured from her home, stabbed to death and her body left in the woods.Shelia Eddy pleaded guilty to first-degree murder under an agreement with prosecutors in the July 2012 death of 16-year-old Skylar Neese. Eddy's trial was scheduled to start next week in Monongalia County Circuit Court.After entering her plea, Judge Russell Clawges sentenced Eddy to life with mercy, meaning the 18-year-old would be eligible for parole after serving 15 years.Under the agreement, a kidnapping charge and two counts of conspiracy were dropped.Eddy, wearing glasses and an orange prison uniform with her hair pulled into a ponytail, was visibly upset upon entering the courtroom, and her voice broke when giving short answers to Clawges, who then asked her how she pleaded."Guilty," Eddy said, her voice cracking.Eddy declined to address the court before sentencing. The victim's father, David Neese, told the court that since the day of his daughter's disappearance, "my life and my wife's life have been drastically altered. We're no longer a family."You can look into the eyes of those who were responsible, but you can never know what they heard as they were taking her life."After the hearing, Neese said it was "unacceptable" that Eddy didn't address the court or apologize for her actions.Prosecutors said Eddy and another friend, Rachel Shoaf, lured Skyler Neese out of her ground-floor bedroom in Star City, drove her to a secluded spot near the unincorporated West Virginia community of Macdale, then stabbed her to death at an agreed-upon moment.
Authorities said the girls covered the body of the University High honors student with branches when they couldn't bury it. The body wasn't discovered in the wooded area across the Pennsylvania border until months later.The break in the case came in January 2013. Prosecutors said that's when Shoaf finally cracked and told investigators the truth about Skylar Neese's disappearance -- and where to find her body.Shoaf pleaded guilty last May to second-degree murder and is awaiting sentencing. Prosecutors have said they plan to recommend a 20-year prison sentence for Shoaf and will oppose any move to have her sentenced as a juvenile. West Virginia law states that she could get as many as 40 years.Prosecutors never divulged a motive for the slaying. Shoaf told police the girls no longer wanted to be friends with Neese.
Monongalia County Prosecutor Marcia Ashdown said Friday that Eddy and Neese had been friends since grade school and the pair went to the beach together in the weeks before the slaying. However, Eddy and Shoaf began to distance themselves from her out of fear that their own friendship would dissolve."If that were to happen, Shelia and Rachel worried that Skylar would divulge their secrets, the kinds of secrets, perhaps, that girls have, and other things," Ashdown said without being more specific.The prosecutor said the pair hatched a plan to pick up Neese by car after she returned home from work the night of July 5, 2012, arming themselves with kitchen knives concealed in their clothes. They also brought a shovel and clean clothes.Ashdown said Neese's body wasn't buried because Eddy and Shoaf "couldn't dig into the hard earth at that time."Although Eddy's name was no secret in the community, authorities didn't make it public until September, when they transferred her case from juvenile to adult court.Clawges ordered that Eddy remain in a juvenile facility until the state Division of Corrections finds room for her in one of its facilities. Clawges said she couldn't be transferred to a regional jail because of overcrowding.
Skylar Neese initially was considered a runaway, so no Amber Alert was issued to publicly notify people of her disappearance. Last year, the Legislature tweaked the state's Amber Alert process, which limited it to cases where a child is believed to have been abducted. The revised law requires that initial reports of any missing child be relayed to the West Virginia State Police, regardless of whether the child is a runaway or not. Amber Alert personnel then decide if an alert should be issued.
Show All Comments Hide All Comments

User Comments

More News