Mine disaster timeline

This is a preliminary timeline of the Sago Mine disaster released Wednesday by International Coal Group:[Monday, Jan. 2.] 4:30 - 5:30 a.m. — Sago Mine is cleared by mine examiners for reopening after holiday weekend shutdown.6:00 a.m. — Two crews totaling 23 men enter mine for normal 10-hour production shift.6:31 a.m. — Underground explosion occurs; causes power outage; traps “2 Left” crew of 12 men and fills area with smoke and dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.6:40 a.m. — “1 Left” crew of 11 men calls surface; informs dispatcher of an unknown explosion-type incident and advises that crew is heading out of mine via the intake escapeway.6:41 - 7:40 a.m. — Mine superintendent and three safety/mine supervisors enter the mine to investigate and attempt to reach the 2 Left crew.7:40 a.m. — Mine management begins calling state and federal mine regulatory officials. 8:04 a.m. — Barbour County Mine Rescue Team is called.Approx 8:30 a.m. — West Virginia state mine regulators (WVOMHST) arrive at the mine; begin monitoring quality of air exiting the mine.MSHA supervisor Satterfield contacted via telephone and issues “K-Order” to prevent further entry into the mine.9:45 a.m. — Mine superintendent and three safety/mine supervisors exit the mine, with no success in contacting 2 Left Crew.
10:40 a.m. — First rescue crews arrive; conditions unsafe to begin rescue efforts.5:51 p.m. — Eight-member rescue team enters mine accompanied by MSHA and state officials after MSHA approvals are obtained.7 p.m. — Search robot is deployed into mine; ultimately tool is incapacitated by muddy terrain at approximately 9,500-foot depth from the mine portal.[Tuesday, Jan. 3] 7:42 a.m. — Camera is dropped through completed drill hole and reveals little damage to area; air tests return “discouraging” results, with dangerous levels of carbon monoxide in the area believed to house trapped miners.
9:10 p.m. — Company announces that a body has been found.11:45 p.m. — Rescue team locates trapped men; command center receives report via radio and mine communications system that all 12 miners are alive; word of unconfirmed report spreads to families.[Wednesday, Jan. 4.] 12:30 a.m. — Command center receives conflicting report that there is only one survivor; initial reaction is that remaining 11 miners may still be alive in comatose state.1:30 - 2 a.m. — Company attempts to send word to families via State Police to clergy that initial report “may have been too optimistic”; command center awaits debriefing of rescue teams to confirm outcome.1:40 a.m. — Command center confirms second report; survivor’s identity is not yet known.2:14 a.m. — The rescued miner, Randall McCloy, is identified at St. Joseph Hospital in Buckhannon.
2:30 a.m. — Company informs family members at the church that Randall McCloy is the only survivor.
Show All Comments Hide All Comments

User Comments

More News