HUNTINGTON — The weeks since Tom Herrion resigned as Marshall’s men’s basketball coach apparently have not quelled Kareem Canty’s desire to transfer from the university.
Multiple published reports say Canty, Marshall’s Conference USA all-conference third team and all-freshman team guard, has asked to be released from his scholarship, but Marshall will not grant it.
Marshall spokesman Jason Corriher said Marshall athletic director Mike Hamrick told players no scholarship releases would be granted until they met with the new coach.
Since March 14, when Hamrick announced Herrion’s departure, the Thundering Herd has been without a head coach, a span that reached its 26th day Tuesday. For comparison, reports that Ohio coach Jim Christian would take the Boston College job surfaced last Thursday, and reports that North Dakota State coach Saul Phillips would take the Ohio job surfaced Sunday. Florida Atlantic announced Mike Jarvis would step down at the end of the season on Feb. 28. Michael Curry was hired as FAU’s new coach on Monday, a span of 38 days.
Hamrick said March 14 that he would not comment on Marshall’s search until a new coach has been hired.
On the day Herrion resigned, Canty posted a public message on Twitter that he planned to transfer, a tweet he later deleted. Hamrick said that day that time often heals such things. He also said he reminded the players they signed to play for the university.
“I tried to assure them that we’re committed to them, but they’re going to be committed to us, too,” he said. “At the end of the day, they signed to come and play at Marshall University. That letter of intent didn’t say this coach or this coach.”
Canty, named C-USA freshman of the week three times this past season, originally was supposed to play the 2012-13 season. He was declared academically ineligible in November 2012, after the regular season had begun. He remained on scholarship as a partial qualifier and, when he was finally able to play in 2013-14, finished fifth in the league in scoring (16.3 points per game) and third in assists (5.45 per game).
Marshall associate athletic director Jeff O’Malley told the Daily Mail last week that no player had yet departed, and any who do transfer to another Division I program would have to sit out a year, including those who already sat out a year as a partial or non-qualifier.
Contact sportswriter Derek Redd at firstname.lastname@example.org or 304-348-1712. His blog is at blogs.charlestondailymail.com/marshall. Follow him on Twitter @derekredd.