Log Out

Son of Supreme Court justice arrested after allegedly beating sister

The son of Supreme Court Justice Margaret Workman allegedly beat his sister and left her bleeding in a Kanawha City ditch late Tuesday.

Edward E. Gardner, 27, of Quarry Creek in Charleston, is charged with malicious wounding for allegedly beating his sister and leaving her lying in a ditch along Quarry Creek Road, according to Sgt. Tony Hazelett of the Charleston Police Department. Gardner surrendered himself to Charleston police Wednesday morning.

Hazelett said Gardner apparently got into an argument with his sister, Lindsay Gardner, 30, of Charleston while driving in a car in Kanawha City at around 9:45 p.m. Tuesday. Edward Gardner allegedly stopped the car in the 300 block of Quarry Creek Road off Chesterfield Avenue, where the argument continued, Hazelett said.

Witnesses told police they heard a man screaming and a woman crying before Edward Gardner allegedly kicked his sister out of the car and began beating her alongside the road. Edward Gardner allegedly kicked his sister’s head against the pavement three times, Hazelett said.

When police and paramedics arrived, Lindsay Gardner was bleeding from her head, according to a Kanawha County Metro 911 dispatcher.

She was taken to CAMC General Hospital where she was in serious condition, according to hospital staff. According to a criminal complaint on file in Kanawha County Magistrate Court, Lindsay Gardner’s preliminary diagnosis was a “concussion, laceration to scalp and possible skull fracture.”

Edward Gardner was arrested in Nitro last month and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol and possession of marijuana after being pulled over when he allegedly nearly hit a parked car while speeding through town. At the police station, Gardner was allegedly combative and kept telling officers he was the son of a Supreme Court justice.

Gardner is scheduled to appear in Kanawha County Magistrate Court on those charges on Sept. 30.

Workman declined comment Wednesday morning.

A $2,500 cash bond had already been paid by the time Edward Gardner appeared before Magistrate Tim Halloran for arraignment. After filling out his paperwork, he was asked if he wanted his handcuffs removed.

“I’m not looking to start a fashion trend here,” he told the magistrate.

A short time later, Gardner was told he was free to go.

“It’s a tragic situation, and the truth will come out at the appropriate time,” said attorney Bill Forbes, who is assisting in Edward Gardner’s defense.

“One of the problems with families is that nothing ever good ever comes from things like this,” Forbes said. “We look forward to, at the appropriate time, having the opportunity to set the record straight.”

Reach Rusty Marks at, call 304-348-1215 or follow @rusty_marks on Twitter.

More News