Update: Suspect arrested in vehicle collisions

Brian Edward Spencer

A Charleston area man was arrested after fleeing a hospital where he was being treated for injuries sustained when he allegedly rammed two vehicles, including a patrol vehicle, head-on over the weekend.

Brian Edward Spencer, 34, of Falcon Drive near Charleston, is facing multiple charges after allegedly using his Toyota Camry to strike two vehicles and threatened to drive into his girlfriend’s house, Kanawha sheriff’s deputies said. Spencer was taken to Charleston Area Medical Center’s General Hospital after the last crash early Sunday but left the hospital later that day. Spencer was arrested Monday afternoon, said Cpl. Brian Humphreys, a spokesman for the Kanawha Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies first were alerted just before 8 p.m. Saturday to a disturbance between several family members on Falcon Drive, north of Charleston. Spencer got into a gold Toyota Camry and rammed his brother’s truck, Humphreys said in a statement.

The truck struck Spencer’s brother, Michael Spencer, 42, also of Falcon Drive, and his 7-year-old son, who were standing in the driveway at the time. Brian Spencer then fled the scene in the Toyota.

Michael Spencer and his son suffered minor injuries and were treated at the scene, Humphreys said.

Deputy M. Sims responded to that incident and started writing up the report to seek charges of leaving the scene of a crash causing property damage and injury against Spencer, but Kanawha Magistrate Court closed before those warrants could be obtained, Humphreys said.

Deputies were dispatched again to the area just before 3 a.m. Sunday after another 911 call. Brian Spencer’s girlfriend and other family members called for help after receiving threats from him throughout the night, Humphreys said.

Spencer allegedly told them he would drive his car through their house. Out of fear, family members took their children elsewhere, Humphreys said.

Cpl. A. J. Miller and Deputy H. L. Summers responded to the call. Miller was sitting in his patrol vehicle, a Ford F-150 pickup truck, with Bruno, an explosives detection dog, while talking to Summers and another person at the window when they heard a vehicle speeding on Falcon Drive, Humphreys said.

“They saw the headlights and heard the engine revving higher,” Humphreys said in the statement. “Corporal Miller told the others to run as the gold Toyota Camry driven by Brian Spencer rammed Corporal Miller’s vehicle in a head-on collision.”

Airbags deployed in both vehicles.

Miller suffered minor injuries during the crash, Humphreys said. The police dog, Bruno, did not appear to be injured. Both Miller and his K9 were taken to Saint Francis Hospital. Miller was not admitted and was released the same morning.

Investigators do not believe Brian Spencer was wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash, Humphreys said. Spencer sustained serious injuries and was unconscious as medics treated him at the scene. He was taken to CAMC General Hospital, and initially was in the Intensive Care Unit but later was moved to another bed later Sunday.

Brian Spencer left the hospital once but Charleston police returned him to the facility for medical reasons.

The sheriff’s office got permission to staff a deputy at the hospital after learning Spencer left the hospital. But the deputy learned upon arrival that Spencer had again left the hospital on foot, Humphreys said. Spencer allegedly asked a nurse for permission to go outside to smoke and left the grounds.

Spencer was returned to the hospital, where a deputy is standing watch.

A warrant revoking Spencer’s bond from a previous matter already had been issued and additional warrants were obtained for the weekend incidents on Falcon Drive.

Spencer could face more charges for damaging Miller’s vehicle but investigators will consult the Kanawha Prosecutor’s Office and examine evidence from the crash before a decision is made, Humphreys said.

More News