Log Out

WV Gov. Justice discharged from Johns Hopkins Hospital after two-day stay

Gazette-Mail file photo
W.Va. Gov. Jim Justice

West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice said he spent two days at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore this week being treated for a viral infection.

In a phone call Saturday night, Justice said following a fever that ranged from 99.5 to 100.5 degrees Fahrenheit, his primary care physician recommended he go to Johns Hopkins Hospital to receive faster bloodwork and test results.

However, he said he is in good health and will be back to work next week. He said the doctors could not pinpoint exactly what virus got into his system, but he will let it run its course.

Alsy Acevedo, a senior media relations representative with the hospital, confirmed Saturday evening Justice has been discharged. Citing privacy concerns, she declined to answer questions regarding when or why he was admitted.

Justice said his doctor originally prescribed him antibiotics, assuming he had a bacterial infection. When two rounds of antibiotics did not reduce the fever, he said his physician then suspected a viral infection and sent him to Baltimore.

On Thursday, Justice’s press office issued a news release stating he began feeling under the weather Aug. 13 and is being treated for a viral infection. It did not mention the hospitalization.

In a text message Saturday, Butch Antolini, Justice’s communications director, neither confirmed nor denied Justice’s hospitalization. Instead, he said Justice is well.

“The governor did have a virus that made him sick,” he said. “He has been feeling much better the last two days and expects to resume a normal work schedule next week. I think some people have made far too much of this than it really is. People get sick. People get viruses and they just need to run their course. I’ve spoken with him daily and he is on the mend.”

According to flight tracking information with FlightAware, a plane flew from Lewisburg, West Virginia at 6:06 p.m. Friday landing in Baltimore at 6:47 p.m.

That plane has been registered under Justice Aviation LLC, James C. Justice Companies Inc. and Justice Family Farms LLC. It is currently registered under Encore Leasing LLC which shares an address with James C Justice Companies, according to FAA and FlightAware records.

However, Justice said this flight was for a friend, and he flew up Tuesday.

Reach Jake Zuckerman at, 304-348-4814 or follow @jake_zuckerman on Twitter.

Show All Comments Hide All Comments

User Comments

More News