Vintage West Virginia: Original Shoney's closes

Shoney’s founder Alex Schoenbaum closed the doors of his first restaurant in December 1975. Gov. Arch Moore, several business leaders and members of the original staff attended ceremonies hosted at the Kanawha Boulevard site. The restaurant, which opened in 1947 as the Parkette, became the original Shoney’s in 1952 when Schoenbaum obtained regional marketing rights to the Big Boy trademark.