Anticipation has been building for weeks about the Oct. 29 Poca at Herbert Hoover game. As each team kept winning, the drama — and the stakes — kept escalating.
Bryson Tate ran 25 times for 171 yards and scored on a 4-yard run Friday night as Winfield celebrated homecoming with a 34-0 prep football victory against Nitro.
For a team that makes headlines with its defense, Huntington sure turned on the offense Friday night, breaking open a tight game at South Charleston.
NEWTOWN — It was pleasant homecoming for former Mingo Central coach Joey Fields as his No. 2-rated Herbert Hoover Huskies traveled to “Buck” Harless Stadium Friday and defeated the Miners 57-0.
POCA — In another nail-biter, the Class AA top-rated Poca Dots used their resilient offense to defeat a solid Scott Skyhawks team 26-21 Friday night, continuing their unbeaten season in front of a full house at O.O. White Stadium.
Coming off a big win over state-ranked South Charleston last week, Riverside hoped to carry over the momentum as it hosted Parkersburg Friday night.
Bradley Harris scored three touchdowns and Buffalo come up with a big defensive stop in the final minute Friday night, leading to a 26-21 prep football victory against visiting Ravenswood.
Huntington coach Billy Seals wants his players to remember what got them this far — where they’re holding an 8-0 record and the No. 2 rating in Class AAA.
Hurricane and Winfield were the Kanawha Valley’s big winners Thursday in the prep cross country regional meets held across West Virginia.
Poca coach Seth Ramsey knows that an impending showdown with fellow Cardinal Conference unbeaten Herbert Hoover will lose a lot of its luster if the Dots don’t take care of business Friday night.
Sully Groom netted five goals and assisted on another as Charleston Catholic cruised to a 9-0 win over Pocahontas County Thursday in the semifinals of the Class AA-A Region 3 Section 2 boys prep soccer tournament.
Annie Cimino scored two goals and four other players tallied a goal each in Charleston Catholic’s 6-0 home victory over Nicholas County in a girls prep soccer Class AA-A sectional game Wednesday.
Toby Payne isn’t going to rack up the kind of rushing yardage his older brother did — after all, Ethan Payne ran for 2,845 yards and 49 touchdowns two years ago, becoming the first athlete from Poca to capture the Kennedy Award as the top player in West Virginia.
Bryson Beaver scored three goals and added an assist in leading Herbert Hoover to a 4-0 win at Lewis County Tuesday in the boys prep soccer Class AA Region 2 Section 2 tournament.
In less than three weeks, the playoff field will be finalized for West Virginia high school teams. But unless something changes — and quickly — two of the state’s most-dominant Class AA programs will miss postseason play.
- WV lawmakers hear from community members in Logan about how to seize on 'once in a lifetime' economic opportunity
- Metallurgical coal mine reopening in Mingo County
- With record visitation, Dolly Sods approaches gridlock
- The Food Guy: Cereal and ice cream? Sweet news from Elk City
- AEP agrees to sell Kentucky Power to Canadian company
- Most construction on Clendenin elementary school paused after substance found in soil
- Gazette-Mail editorial: Note to Mooney: Accountability isn't persecution
- State Supreme Court justices hear arguments on whether new law targets labor unions
- Early community college plan for Kanawha high schoolers curtailed, but still planned
- WVU football: 2020 debacle at Iowa State a motivator for Mountaineers this week