After building a nine-run lead through three innings, host Charleston Catholic couldn’t push across another, thus having to wait through seven frames that felt like a formality to hoist the Class A Region 3 Section 2 baseball trophy.
Cabell Midland's Ryan Fulks came up with two big catches and a key bunt single in the ninth-inning rally as the Knights defeated Huntington, 5-4, in extras to win the Class AAA, Region IV, Section 1 title on Monday.
Tayven Stephenson and Kendall Stoffel only allowed one hit and combined for 12 strikeouts for St. Albans in a 9-0 win over Wyoming East at home in a prep softball tuneup game before regionals begin next week.
Herbert Hoover plated four runs over the fourth and fifth innings Monday to hold off Braxton County 4-3 and claim the Class AA Region 2 Section 2 baseball title in Falling Rock.
Several Kanawha Valley prep baseball and softball teams will be hoping to extend their seasons Monday and Tuesday as double-elimination sectional tournaments wrap up.
For the longest time on Saturday, it looked like St. Albans’ reign as state baseball champion was finally coming to a close. Then Carson McCoy took matters into his own hands.
Damian Witty went 3 for 4 with two home runs and four RBIs to help top-seeded Hurricane take down Parkersburg South 11-1 and claim the Class AAA Region 4 Section 2 prep baseball tournament Friday in Hurricane.
Sissonville’s Colton Carpenter went 2 for 3 with three RBIs and struck out seven over seven innings to help the Indians to a 10-4 win over Poca Thursday in the Class AA Region 4 Section 1 baseball tournament in Sissonville.
Caleb Nutter drove in a run in the top of the 11th inning Tuesday as Buffalo earned a 3-2 victory at Sherman in a Class A Region 4 Section 1 winners bracket prep baseball game.
No. 4 seed Webster County scored seven runs in the first inning en route to a 12-4 win over Charleston Catholic in the Class A Region 3 Section 2 softball tournament Tuesday in Summersville.
More than two years since they last set sail, prep baseball teams around West Virginia begin the road to Appalachian Power Park when sectional tournaments open around the state on Monday.
For much of the night, Hurricane was guilty of the same kind of miscues that its opponents usually make — striking out 12 times, failing to cover a base, committing an error that led to a run.
Lena Elkins pitched a four-hit shutout with 12 strikeouts and no walks Tuesday as Nitro improved to 18-6 with a 3-0 prep softball win over visiting Sherman (14-3).
- Flooding effects of Mountain Valley Pipeline under scrutiny after weekend damage in central WV
- Gov. Justice to appoint GOP operative to Public Broadcasting governing board
- Prep softball: Small ball helps Herbert Hoover win regional opener over Lincoln
- Joe Manchin: Why I'm voting against the For the People Act
- Kanawha judge grants unions' injunction in fight over collecting dues
- Prep baseball: St. Albans gets past Oak Hill in regional opener
- Prep roundup: St. Albans suffers first softball loss, down 0-1 in regional play
- Former WV railroad designated as national trail
- Regional baseball games suspended by storms; Goetz named All-American
- Dear Abby: Wife devastated to learn of husband's prior conquests