The Mountain State’s TRUSTED news source.

Click here to stay informed and subscribe to The Charleston Gazette-Mail.

Click #isupportlocal for more information on supporting our local journalists.

Learn more about HD Media

Prep FB1

Mookie Collier ran for 293 yards on 17 carries with four touchdowns as Bluefield remained unbeaten with a 37-14 dismantling of Bridgeport in the Class AA semifinals Friday night in Bluefield.

With the win, the No. 2 Beavers (13-0) advance to the Super Six title game for the first time since 2009 next Friday night at Wheeling Island Stadium, where they will play the winner of Saturday’s Mingo Central-Fairmont Senior semifinal.

No. 3 Bridgeport (11-2) opened the game by going on an 18-play drive that lasted 11:10 but failed to put any points on the scoreboard after a 20-yard missed goal.

Collier broke loose for a 55-yard touchdown run with 9:20 left in the second quarter and added a 68-yard TD scamper with 3:31 remaining to give Bluefield a 12-0 lead.

Jake Bowen plunged in from a yard out for Bridgeport late in the first half to cut the deficit to 12-7 at halftime.

Collier scored his third touchdown on a 25-yard run with 9:45 left in the third quarter.

Truck Edwards scored on a 2-yard touchdown run for a 24-7 Bluefield lead before the Indians scored on a 1-yard run by John Merica to cut the deficit to 10 with 1:26 left in the period.

Bluefield tacked on two more touchdowns in the fourth quarter to provide the final score on a Chandler Cooper 20-yard run and Collier’s fourth TD on a 45-yard scamper.

Class A

St. Marys 27, East Hardy 21: Jaiden Smith rambled for a 17-yard touchdown run with 1:25 left in the fourth quarterto break a tie and provide the game winner to give the Blue Knights the road win in a Class A semifinal.

With the victory, No. 5 St. Marys (11-1) advances to the championship game, where the Blue Devils look to defend their title from last year. St. Marys will play the Wheeling Central-Summers County winner, to be played Saturday.

Trailing 27-21, No. 1 East Hardy (12-1) advanced the ball to midfield, but St. Marys held on downs after an incomplete pass on fourth-and-10 with 21 seconds left to hold on for the win.

East Hardy led 13-7 at halftime.

Both teams traded touchdowns in the third quarter for a 21-14 East Hardy lead before Smith tied the game on an 11-yard run to tie the game with 10:21 remaining.

Looking to take the lead, East Hardy missed a 22-yard field goal with 5:03 remaining before St. Marys drove down the field for the game-winning TD run from Smith.