The Charleston Catholic girls soccer team weathered the storm in beating Bluefield 8-0 in the Class AA-A Region 3 championship game Thursday night at Schoenbaum Stadium to earn a return trip ticket to the state tournament next weekend in Beckley.
POINT PLEASANT — A couple of days short of Halloween, the Williamstown girls soccer team exorcised some green-clad demons.
The George Washington girls soccer team is back in familiar territory after the Patriots defeated Oak Hill 8-0 in the Class AAA Region 3 championship Tuesday night at GW.
RIPLEY — Cabell Midland got half the job done Tuesday evening, as it became the first team all season to score on Parkersburg South. As it turns out, the Knights needed one more goal to complete the job.
Mountain East Conference champion Concord fell in the first round of the NCAA Division II women’s soccer tournament to West Chester, but West Virginia ties to the tournament didn’t end there.
In a year in which big goal totals highlight the Class AAA girls soccer All-State first team, perhaps it’s fitting that it took a record-setting season to earn captain’s honors.
NEW MANCHESTER — Oak Glen is turning into one of the premier soccer teams in West Virginia, advancing to two straight state tournaments and, this year, making its first state title game.
BECKLEY — For three straight years, Charleston Catholic had no luck in the Class AA-A girls soccer state championship game.
BECKLEY — Morgantown’s girls and Fairmont Senior’s boys captured prep soccer state tournament titles Saturday, with the Mohigans defeating Hedgesville 3-2 in the AAA girls final and the Polar Bears defeating Robert C. Byrd 2-1 in the Class AA-A boys championship game at the Paul Cline Memori…
BECKLEY — It’ll be an all-northern Class AAA girls soccer championship game after Morgantown defeated Hurricane and Hedgesville edged George Washington, both by 2-1 scores, in the semifinals Friday.
Seven Kanawha Valley prep soccer teams went into the regional round and seven came out, giving all of them berths into the state tournament semifinals, to be held Friday at Paul Cline Memorial Sports Complex in Beckley.
Sitting on the edge of unofficial history, Hurricane forward Bailey Fisher and the Redskins stalled, being shut out in three straight contests.
Hurricane sophomore forward Bailey Fisher is out of this week’s state tournament after suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in the Redskins’ 2-0 Class AAA Region 4 final win over Parkersburg South on Saturday.
Things were starting to unravel a bit for George Washington Saturday afternoon, but Ava Trethewey was there to pick up the pieces. And then some.
- Gazette-Mail editorial: Manchin might now be unreachable
- Joe Manchin: Why I'm voting against the For the People Act
- WV Supreme Court resuscitates suit over principal confronting transgender student in bathroom
- North-South basketball: Defense lifts North to 105-104 All-Star win
- West Virginia Day events feature Blenko glass sale, Capitol ceremonies
- Evictions are set to resume July 1. Here's what to do if you're at risk of losing your housing.
- Jevon Carter could be next Jeff Hostetler
- PHOTOS: Making a splash in South Charleston
- Dear Abby: Young professional can't escape dating gossip
- HD Media editorial: Transparency key in search for next MU president